What I did this week:
I wrote code that contains many "bashisms" but runs, this is the code that detects boot paramaters from the user for a few boot options. I would like to combine the boot params into on parser that sorts through all the user entered boot options instead of looping through them xxxxx times during the execution of casper-bottom scripts.
I had a rough time testing the changes I made to casper-ng, so I started to work on a tool that will be used to easily unpack, pack, and modify images created by live-package.
This did divert my attention for a while, but not too long.
- Its called live-helper and can be found in the subversion repo.
Worked on documentation, explaining the theory of operation behind casper-ng.
- I am currently in the process of finishing up the casper-ng documentation, you should be able to grab this in a few hours using subversion.
Cleared things up Marco, he will work on the initramfs hooks and I work on the casper-bottom scripts. I finished up removing some code that modifies the root files system at boot time and moved it to postinstall. However, I did go a little nuts with this, and was asked by Marco to keep this to a min.
- I will work on casper-bottom scripts, he will work on the mkinitramfs hook (image detection and so on)
My plans for this week:
- Adjusting casper-ng documentation after a peer review by the debian-live group - this will be ongoing for the rest of SoC.
- Experiment with some hardware detection, creating some images and testing on as many machines as possible (I am limited to mostly i386) - plan on using discover
- I think it will be possible to use yaboot to boot debian-live on ppc & ppc64 unfortunatly the only box I can test on right now is an experimental blade server that IBM donated to a research project I work on at school (not ideal)... I have to find some people who are willing to test ISOs for me or a good emulator.
- Start examining the scripts executed once casper hands everything over to init on the rootfs - I get some weird errors somtimes, prob because there are some saved setting from the box that created the iso. Modules that are installed at boot time etc.